Thursday, June 30, 2005

And all the memories so close to me just fade away

It's official: I have mono. It sucks. I knew something was wrong with me, and I suspected it was mono all along. At least I know. Not that it helps, since there's nothing that can be done about it. It's a virus, not a bacterial infection, so there's no treatment, other than lots of rest and fluids. I read that it takes anywhere from 2-3 weeks to several months to be fully recovered and have energy levels back to normal. Please, don't let that happen to me. I'm already so upset that I can't workout and have been really off lately. I'm so used to being really active and having lots of energy. And that's what I'm not currently: active or energic. And I'm going crazy! The one good thing about this is that it happened during the summer. Because it would have been even worse if I was in school--I'd have to deal with classes, and I wouldn't be able to go out and I'd miss so much. So that's one plus about me getting it now. And, once you have mono, you become immune to catching it again (well, for most people it's that way). I just wonder how long it takes for a person to not be contagious. I did end up telling Adam and Chris--I sent them each a facebook message. I thought it'd be the courteous thing to do. I know if one of them got it instead, I'd want to know. But I doubt they'd have told me. I wonder where I got it from. And I wonder how long I've had it. Could have been from some random guy I kissed while out in a club last semester, but I don't think I kissed just random guys...they were all people that I'd met beforehand. I bet I got it from Adam. I got since that Sunday after I saw him. But it doesn't really matter where I got it from. I have it, and that's that. I'll just have to deal with it. Maybe it's my punishment for seeing Adam again. It's what I get for being so stupid. But probably not. You know what really bugs me? Those abstinence-only supporters. They're such hippocrits. They preach "no sex until marraige," but I wonder how many of them actually waited until they were married? I'm sure most of them probably engaged in pre-marital sex. Not that that there's anything wrong with wanting teens to postpone sex, but come on! Be realistic! There has been no time throughout human history when people did not not have sex before marraige! It's human nature! I'm not promoting having sex, but teens aren't going to stop. I think it's best to wait as long as you can and only do it when you feel ready, but in the meantime, banning programs that promote safe sex is just plain irresponsible on the behalf of adults. True, the only 100% way to prevent pregnancy and STDs is to simply not have sex. But get real! Most people don't make it until marraige. I really want to know the statistics for this, so I'm going to look it up at some point, because I think it'd be really interesting to find out. I'm bugged about this because I just read an article in the paper today about how members of the abstinence-only movement are trying to get makers of condoms to "tell the truth" about their effectiveness in preventing STDs on the box. Whatever. It's better to use a condom, no matter what--even if the risk is still high, it's lower than not using one. They're just trying to limit our rights to contraceptives...they're the ones who don't even want birth control to be legal. And it's really scary. Ever heard about those psycho-fundamentalist-pharmacists who refuse to fill prescriptions for birth control to women who are unmarried or simply because it's against their beliefs? THEY ARE CRAZY!!!! This is one area that I will definitely become an activist in, because there's nothing more important to me than the right to do what I want with my own body. No MAN can or will EVER take this fundamental right away from me. Too many have fought for us to be where we are today. And there's no way in hell we're ever going to go back.

No comments: