Monday, August 29, 2005

There are places I'll remember all my life, though some have changed

I think Ania might still be mad at me from Saturday night. There was this whole ordeal over buying a keg. What had happened was I told mom about buying one for her and her roommate the other night, and she completely freaked out on me. On the way home from Graham's birthday dinner, she asked dad about a "hypothetical situation" in which someone buys a keg for underage people, and I ended up getting this whole lecture about how I'm responsible for everyone who drinks and all. I was like, "yeah, yeah" rolling my eyes, etc. So when Ania asked me if I would get another one that night, I said that I would, despite what I had just gone through. But on the way over to her place, that lecture kept hanging over my head and a voice was telling me not to do it. So I changed my mind. I knew she wouldn't be happy, and she wasn't. Not only did I decline to buy the keg, I did what one of her other friends does to her all the time: I took back my word. I felt so bad. She said she wasn't mad, but I knew she was definitely irritated, because she had to find someone else to buy one. And I was in this rush because I was going out with Blake and had to be at his house, so I wasn't really happy about doing it in the first place, but because I'm nice, I was going to do her a favor. I had to take her to the ATM to get some money that she owed me, and while she was inside, I called mom and told her how mad I was that I told her, because Ania said that we shouldn't drink together anymore if I feel so strongly about this. Which I don't, but I was just uncomfortable buying it that night because of what I'd heard only 2 hours earlier. It was weighing on my mind, and made a lot of sense. But she thinks buying alcohol is buying alcohol. All or nothing. Take it or leave it. I see it a different way: buying a keg for a party is not the same thing as me buying a pack of beer or a bottle for a few people. I really don't buy alcohol for other people; I'm usually drinking it, too. It's totally different. Ania ended up talking to my mom on the phone, and told her she wasn't mad at me or anything, just that she feels differently. I'm hoping it was just because of the stress of having to find someone else in a short period of time. But I don't know. I didn't talk to her yesterday, and I IM'ed her about an hour ago, but she never responded. She went away without saying anything, but now she's back and still hasn't answered my IM, which is kind of rude. And she's gone again. It's not making me feel so great. I think I just lost my good friend to her new sorority. And to declining to buy a keg. And like a dork I'm already starting some reading for my classes. I don't want to, but I have nothing else to do, and I'd rather not sit around on the computer or just watching tv and wasting time. I could be hanging out with Ania, but I don't know what's up with her, because she won't tell me. She doesn't want to talk to me. I'm going out tomorrow night--it's Tuesday and the first week of school--there's no way I'm staying home. If Ania doesn't want to go out with me (if I've even heard from her by then), I'll go out with Blake, since I know he's definitely going out.

No comments: